Sunday 16 July 2017

Sunday Best: Review of Sunday Morning Coming Down by Nicci French

 Sunday Morning Coming Down  is the seventh book in a series which started with Blue Monday and progressed through the days of the week all the way to Sunday. Probably because I hadn't read the blurb properly, I'd assumed this would be the final book in the series and would tie up the overarching plot. Clearly this is not the case, but having now exhausted the days of the week I wonder what the next book will be called?

Anyway, I've read most but not all of the previous books; I haven't yet read the Saturday instalment, which was a slight disadvantage but not much of one. It does help if you've read the others, particularly with regard to the ongoing Dean Reeve storyline, but I imagine a new reader could enjoy the book without that background knowledge.

The main protagonist, as in the previous ones, is Frieda Klein, a psychotherapist (with a name like that, she could hardly have chosen any other career path). Frieda has more than a passing acquaintance with murder. Here, the first body appears right at the start - under her floorboards, in fact - and things don't get any easier thereafter. Someone is targeting Frieda's friends and allies - but is it Dean Reeve or someone else?

I really enjoyed this - tightly plotted and a gripping read. Even though I've never somehow managed to fully engage with the character of Frieda, all the characters are well drawn (I particularly like Josef the Ukrainian builder). The sinister Reeve remains a lurking presence throughout.

Thanks to the publishers and NetGalley for a review copy. Looking forward to the next instalment!

No comments:

Post a Comment